New shipments of the lauded Weller wheated bourbon will be arriving in Australia early 2020 and The Oak Barrel is pleased to confirm that we’ll be on the allocation list.
Many of these we’ll be seeing through The Oak Barrel for the first time and so it’s with much anticipation that we’re going to have the opportunity to open and share them with a room full of whisky lovers in our first ever tasting dedicated to the famous Weller name.
Weller is one of the many American bourbon brands – from Buffalo Trace or elsewhere – that carries the name of an industry pioneer. Born in 1825, William Larue Weller started a liquor wholesale business in Louisville in the 1840s which prompted him to develop a house bourbon recipe. Uniquely for the time, Weller used wheat rather than rye in the mash bill, resulting in a softer, smoother taste to what was around.
The whiskies became a mark of quality and consistency, which continued well after his death in 1899.
A few years prior, the company had employed a salesman named Julian “Pappy” Van Winkle as a travelling salesman in 1893. Van Winkle and a friend named Alex Farnsley went on to purchase the A. Ph. Stitzel Distillery, which produced bourbons for the Weller brand. Eventually the two companies merged to form the Stitzel-Weller distillery, which opened in 1935 and ensured that the Weller name remained associated with the top echelon of premium bourbon.
Hosted by Gee David of Southtrade’s Fine Drinks Movement, we’ll kick off with the classic Buffalo Trace bourbon before moving into the Weller range. We’ve seen the 12-year-old in minimal quantities in recent years, but it’ll be our first time pouring the Special Reserve, the 114 proof (57%) Full Proof and democratically-created CYPB – ‘Craft Your Perfect Bourbon’.
As well as whiskies from the Weller range, we’ll also put the current 2018 release of the William Larue Weller expression up against the 2019 release, which will be expressed into the country in early 2020 for the event. The WLW releases are part of the annual Buffalo Trace Antique Collection releases, highly sought after and on strict allocation.
Strictly one night only, strictly over 18s, strictly a lot of fun.
What We’ll Be Trying:
Weller Special Reserve
Weller Full Proof
William Larue Weller 2018 Release
William Larue Weller 2019 Release
WHAT: Weller Bourbon Whiskey Tasting
WHERE: The Oak Barrel, 152 Elizabeth St, Sydney, 2000
WHEN: Thursday 13 February, doors open 6.15pm for a 6.30pm start
PRICE: $85 for members, $95 for guests
How To Buy Tickets
- To purchase a ticket please add this item to your cart and process at the checkout. Please note, there are no physical tickets - your name will be on the door.
- We offer one members-priced ticket per paid-up membership. Members will recieve their discount once the ticket is added to the cart.
- If you are a member and add more than one ticket to your account, the remaining tickets will be charged at guest prices.
- Please advise any friends that are members that they will need to log into their own account to purchase members tickets.
- If you are buying a gift for someone else, please specify their name in Order Notes during the checkout process.
- Tickets are non-refundable or exchangeable, so please make sure to check your dates before booking.