The January edition of our monthly 'Whisky Appreciation' night where we go through the basics and some essentials of loving and appreciating the world of whisky.
Featuring six whiskies, we'll go through a range of styles and expressions, with the focus on single malt Scotch. That doesn't mean we won't throw in some bottles from other countries and non-single malt, but it'll be through the prism of Scotch.
The line-up of whiskies is announced on the day, so that we can react quickly to new arrivals and exciting releases, but it always covers a broad range of flavours - unpeated and peated, spirit-driven and cask-driven, traditional cask maturations and more modern approaches.
Hosted by The Oak Barrel’s Whisky Educator Scott Fitzsimons.
We will be adhering to strict social distancing and Covid-19 safety measures and working to a reduced capacity in our tasting room.
WHAT: Whisky Appreciation Tasting Night - January Edition
WHERE: The Oak Barrel, 152 Elizabeth St, Sydney, 2000
WHEN: Wednesday 20 January, 2020, doors open 6.15pm for a 6.30pm start
TYPE: In-person only
PRICE: $55 for members, $65 for guests
HOW TO BUY TICKETS
- To purchase a ticket please add this item to your cart and process at the checkout. Please note, there are no physical tickets - your name will be on the door.
- We offer one members-priced ticket per paid-up membership. Members will receive their discount once the ticket is added to the cart.
- If you are a member and add more than one ticket to your account, the remaining tickets will be charged at guest prices.
- Please advise any friends that are members that they will need to log into their own account to purchase members tickets.
- If you are buying a gift for someone else, please specific their name in Order Notes during the checkout process.
- Tickets are non-refundable or exchangeable, so please make sure to check your dates before booking.
THE OAK BARREL’S 2021 WHISKY TASTING SEASON
In 2021 The Oak Barrel will once again host a series of intimate, enjoyable and wide-ranging whisky tastings, but now they’ll be over a few different formats.
Our in-person tastings will return to our Cellar Room, which will now be capped to 20. This will not only ensure the safety of customers and staff, but also ensure that the events are as comfortable and as intimate as they can be.
These tastings will encompass a wide range of whisky themes, from the classic ‘Whisky Appreciation’ nights to nights based around specific countries, regions, styles, distilleries and bottlers. Hosted by in-house whisky educator Scott Fitzsimons, we’ll also welcome special guests from all around the country to present in front of you.
This does not mean the end of our successful virtual tastings, however. With international travel still uncertain, we’ll be calling upon international guests to join us in a virtual capacity. In these cases we’ll make up tasting kits, which can either be sent around Australia or picked up and enjoyed in store with us in front of the big screen.
We look forward to a big year of sharing great drams through 2021, the 65th anniversary of The Oak Barrel.
THE OAK BARREL
The Oak Barrel is one of Sydney's oldest bottle shops and has been an icon of the Sydney fine drinks scene since its establishment in 1956. It has been named the Icons Of Whisky Single Outlet Of The Year and Australian Liquor Industry Awards Bottle Store Of The Year on multiple occasions.
It is the promoter of renowned whisky events including Sydney Whisky Fair, which celebrated its tenth anniversary in 2019, and Sydney Whisky Forum, the virtual replacement in 2020.