Spain has one of the oldest and most diverse winemaking cultures in the world. Phoenician, Roman, Gothic, and Arabic influences all played a role in the ancient history of Spanish viticulture. Come the 19th century and introduction of the immensely damaging phylloxera to vineyards in northern Europe, many French winemakers sought out vineyards across the Pyrenees in the less affected Spanish vineyards due to the discovery of the immune American rootstock grafting.
Today Spain has the 3rd largest wine production, and is home to some of the most iconic wineries, in the world (Think Dominio de Pingus, Vega Sicilia Unico, Terroir Al Limit). Great Spanish winemakers now combine the cultural history of Spain with modern winemaking techniques. Utilising native and experimental varieties along with old vine vineyards to create unique, expressive wines from regions across the country.
Spain produces a vast variety of wine styles across the country. Whether it’s the rustic volcanic soil based wines of the Canary Islands, elegant perfumed reds of the rocky mountain region of Ribera del Duero, spicy meaty wines of Rioja, or the electric floral whites of the northerly Rias Biaxas.
Join us on the 28th of February as we welcome Spanish wine expert, Marti Benedi to our Oak Barrel cellar room for a fun and relaxed tasting, breaking down 8 different Spanish wines, regions, flavours, food pairings, and most importantly, tasting.
WHAT: Spanish Wine Appreciation with Marti Benedi
WHERE: The Oak Barrel, 152 Elizabeth St, Sydney
WHEN: Thursday 28 February 2019, doors open 6.15pm for a 6.30pm start
PRICE: $30 for members, $40 for guests
How To Buy Tickets
- To purchase a ticket please add this item to your cart and process at the checkout. Please note, there are no physical tickets - your name will be on the door.
- We offer one members-priced ticket per paid-up membership. Members will recieve their discount once the ticket is added to the cart.
- If you are a member and add more than one ticket to your account, the remaining tickets will be charged at guest prices.
- Please advise any friends that are members that they will need to log into their own account to purchase memebrs tickets.
- If you are buying a gift for someone else, please specific their name in Order Notes during the checkout process.
- Tickets are non-refundable or exchangeable, so please make sure to check your dates before booking.