One of The Oak Barrel’s favourite Scottish imports Chloe Wood will be returning to our tasting room this February to celebrate all things Islay and Port Charlotte.
Port Charlotte is the moniker given to the ‘heavily peated’ expressions from Bruichladdich. The distillery also produces an unpeated namesake and the ‘ultra-peated’ Octomore. Be under no illusion, even though it might sit below Octomore in terms of peated level the Port Charlotte malts are very heavily peated and can even showcase more smoke than its higher-peated siblings.
While we’ve dedicated nights to focus on Bruichladdich before, we’ve never celebrated Port Charlotte by itself, so that’s exactly what Chloe will be doing this February.
It’s a new look range with the recently unveiled distinctive black bottles and on top of tasting the Islay Barley and 10-year-old expressions we’ll also give a very special preview of the new MRC expression. It’s not yet in Australia – and won’t be until after the tasting – but this will be your chance to be amongst the first in the country to taste it, and potentially pre-order a bottle from the very limited allocation that is currently on the water.
Bruichladdich is one of Scotland’s most progressive and innovative whisky distilleries and the MRC is yet another arm of that. Finished in French wine casks, it’s a showcase of the marriage between smoke and oak. All three of the Port Charlottes we’ll taste on the day will carry the same DNA, but tasted vertically are very different beasts.
Wood was born on Islay, growing up on a farm called Octofad. Located five miles south of the Bruichladdich distillery, it wasn’t a long trip when she took her first job at the distillery at the age of 18.
Since then, she’s been involved in a number of roles around the distillery and is currently the Asia Pacific Brand Ambassador.
Included in the ticket price is a bottle of the Port Charlotte 10-Year-Old, which you’ll collect to take home on the day.
With the 10-year-old selling for an average of $115, the ticket price of $110 for members and $120 for guests is great value for what is going to be a fantastic afternoon of tasting, discovery and discussion.
Please note, this is a rare Saturday tasting for The Oak Barrel – take note of the 1pm start time.
What We’ll Taste:
Port Charlotte Islay Barley 50%
Port Charlotte 10-Year-Old 50%
Port Charlotte MRC:01 59.2% (Exclusive preview tasting)
We’ll also sample from the distillery:
The Botanist Gin 40%
Bruichladdich Classic 50%
Bruichladdich Islay Barley 50%
Bruichladdich Organic 50%
WHAT: Port Charlotte Whisky Tasting With Chloe Wood
WHERE: The Oak Barrel, 152 Elizabeth St, Sydney
WHEN: Saturday 16 February 2019, 1pm – 2.30pm. Doors open 12.45pm.
PRICE: $110 for members, $120 for guests
How To Buy Tickets
- To purchase a ticket please add this item to your cart and process at the checkout. Please note, there are no physical tickets - your name will be on the door.
- We offer one members-priced ticket per paid-up membership. Members will recieve their discount once the ticket is added to the cart.
- If you are a member and add more than one ticket to your account, the remaining tickets will be charged at guest prices.
- Please advise any friends that are members that they will need to log into their own account to purchase memebrs tickets.
- If you are buying a gift for someone else, please specific their name in Order Notes during the checkout process.
- Tickets are non-refundable or exchangeable, so please make sure to check your dates before booking.