First recorded history in Alsace in 1477, made historically famous in Germany, popularised in Austria, and welcomed lovingly into Australia. Riesling is one of the most diverse white grapes in the world today.
Riesling is expressive of it’s terroir and can wear several different outfits depending on the country and region where it is grown. It also requires precision winemaking as a more fragile grape.
From completely bone dry styles to the sweet Eiswein and German Trockenbeerenauslese expressions, Riesling covers the entire spectrum for wine lovers. It can pair with a vast range of foods, be drunk both young and old (some of the top German Rieslings lasting over a century!) with their flavour and aroma evolving drastically over the years, and span in price all the way up to being some of the most expensive wines in the world. Egon Müller’s Trockenbeerauslese 1976 recently sold at auction for the equivalent to $19,250 Australian!
With a passionate dedication from wine consumers, and several countries producing top tier Rieslings each year that it begs the question..who does it best?
Well we thought we’d open up some bottles from around the world and let you decide. On Thursday 4th of April we’ll be showcasing 8 different Riesling from across the globe to taste, learn, discuss, and enjoy.
Our Riesling Showdown will see just which countries standout and how vastly different Riesling can be.
Wines to be tasted on the night
Gunderloch Fritz 2017 - Germany
Frankland Estate 'Isolation Ridge' 2017 - Australia
Clos Clare Riesling 2018 - Australia
Domaine Wachau Brucke Fiederspiel 2017 - Austria
Varja Petracine Langhe 2017 - Italy
Ostertag 'Les Jardins' 2016 - Austria
Te Whare Ra Riesling D 2016 - New Zealand
Wittman Morstien GG 2017 - Germany
Frankland Estate 'Smith Cullam' Off Dry 2017 - Austrlalia
WHAT: Riesling Showdown II - Australia vs The Rest of the World
WHERE: The Oak Barrel, 152 Elizabeth St, Sydney
WHEN: Thurday 4th April 2019, doors open 6.15pm for a 6.30pm start
PRICE: $30 for members, $40 for guests
How To Buy Tickets
- To purchase a ticket please add this item to your cart and process at the checkout. Please note, there are no physical tickets - your name will be on the door.
- We offer one members-priced ticket per paid-up membership. Members will recieve their discount once the ticket is added to the cart.
- If you are a member and add more than one ticket to your account, the remaining tickets will be charged at guest prices.
- Please advise any friends that are members that they will need to log into their own account to purchase memebrs tickets.
- If you are buying a gift for someone else, please specific their name in Order Notes during the checkout process.
- Tickets are non-refundable or exchangeable, so please make sure to check your dates before booking.