Pinot Noir is a grape that we all know and love. With it's rich history in Burgundy dating back hundreds of years it is now crafting some of the most highly sought after bottles of wine in the world, fetching astronomical prices. So much has been done with this one single grape variety - wines can be soft, light and elegant all the way through to bold and intense capable of standing up to even the most robust dishes.
It's this versatility that allows such a wide demographic of wine drinkers to gravitate towards Pinot Noir. They can be drunk on their own, shared in a group situation, matched up easily with food, both drinkable young and can have exceptional aging potential.
While Pinot Noir has deep roots in the old world (with Roman agricultural writer Columella describing a grape variety similar to pinot noir in Burgundy during the 1st century) its popularity has boomed with new world winemakers in areas like Oregon in the US, South Africa and South Australia. This has allowed for an incredible selection for Pinot lovers around the world.
But the question still remains, who does it best? Why do certain soil types, elevations, temperatures, and geographical location matter so much to the grapes and the end result of the wine. Whilst it's home lies in the Grand Cru soils of Burgundy there is without a doubt many new world producers giving these wines are run for their money.
We are going to put this question to the test on Tuesday 5th February in the Oak Barrel Tasting Room. Eight wines will be put to the test for you to decide who does it best.
WHAT: Pinot Showdown II - Australia vs The Rest of the World
WHERE: The Oak Barrel, 152 Elizabeth St, Sydney
WHEN: Tuesday 5th February 2019, doors open 6.15pm for a 6.30pm start
PRICE: $30 for members, $40 for guests
How To Buy Tickets
- To purchase a ticket please add this item to your cart and process at the checkout. Please note, there are no physical tickets - your name will be on the door.
- We offer one members-priced ticket per paid-up membership. Members will recieve their discount once the ticket is added to the cart.
- If you are a member and add more than one ticket to your account, the remaining tickets will be charged at guest prices.
- Please advise any friends that are members that they will need to log into their own account to purchase memebrs tickets.
- If you are buying a gift for someone else, please specific their name in Order Notes during the checkout process.
- Tickets are non-refundable or exchangeable, so please make sure to check your dates before booking.