One of our favourite Islay distilleries and one of our favourite presenters: The Oak Barrel will gladly welcome Kilchoman’s Peter Wills back to our tasting room this July for an evening exploring the distillery’s exceptional, varied expressions.
Son of Founder Anthony Wills, members of the Wills family - Peter and others - have made multiple visits to The Oak Barrel and it’s always resulted in excellent experiences. Although Kilchoman’s history may be brief, they’ve long produced some of our favourite Scottish whiskies – peated or otherwise. This Tuesday 25 June we’ll go through the latest expressions in Australia, plus sample a brand new Australian exclusive single cask.
Peter Wills photo by Jonathan Walczak
If you’re not familiar with the story Kilchoman is the youngest distillery on Islay with whisky on the market (there’s a few being built, or in planning).
Built in 2005, it was the first new distillery built on the famous whisky island in 125 years. Founder Anthony Wills endured all sorts of hardship (financial and emotional) in the early years, but the hard yakka paid off. In 2019 Kilchoman is one of the most cult-adored peated distilleries in Scotland.
An annual capacity of under half-a-million litres (although that’s counting expansions, the reality is still much lower), means they are still one of Scotland’s smallest distilleries as well.
The most important factor about Kilchoman, though, is the taste – and their whiskies are delicious. From the core Machir Bay and Sanaig (The Oak Barrel’s Whisky Of The Year 2016) expressions all the way through to limited release offerings, Kilchoman has an intoxicating peat reek, a connection to the farmyard-process and a power that belies its youthfulness.
Because we believe every whisky lover should have a bottle of Sanaig - our 2016 Whisky Of The Year - on their shelf, we’re giving away a bottle with every ticket purchased. Given that the Sanaig sits on our shelf for $115 ($103.50 for Oak Barrel members), we think the ticket price of $120 / $110 represents excellent value.
On top of a range of Kilchoman drams, we’ll also be privileged to sample one of Scotland’s most exciting spirit exports of the past couple of years – the Isle Of Harris Gin.
Strictly one night only, tickets are limited. Once sold out, they’re sold out.
What We’ll Be Trying
Kilchoman Machir Bay
Kilchoman Sauternes Cask
Kilchoman Loch Gorm (2018)
Kilchoman Port Cask (2018 Release)
Kilchoman Alba/Australian Exclusive Rum Cask
Isle Of Harris Gin
WHAT: Kilchoman Whisky Tasting With Peter Wills
WHERE: The Oak Barrel, 152 Elizabeth St, Sydney
WHEN: Tuesday 25 June 2019, doors open 6.15pm for a 6.30pm start
PRICE: $110 for members, $120 for guests (ticket price includes a 700ml bottle of Kilchoman Sanaig, collected on the night)
Over 18s only.
How To Buy Tickets
- To purchase a ticket please add this item to your cart and process at the checkout. Please note, there are no physical tickets - your name will be on the door.
- We offer one members-priced ticket per paid-up membership. Members will recieve their discount once the ticket is added to the cart.
- If you are a member and add more than one ticket to your account, the remaining tickets will be charged at guest prices.
- Please advise any friends that are members that they will need to log into their own account to purchase members tickets.
- If you are buying a gift for someone else, please specify their name in Order Notes during the checkout process.
- Tickets are non-refundable or exchangeable, so please make sure to check your dates before booking.