Well overdue and something that many of you have asked for, we’re excited to announce a new series of whisky tastings for 2019 and beyond: Irish Whiskey Appreciation.
It’s funny to watch the perceived recent ‘emergence’ of Irish whiskey when the island has such a long and rich history with the spirit (we promise not to get into the fight about who got there first, the Irish or the Scots… well, we might). The 20th century wasn’t a pretty time for Irish whiskey and while it has been long loved, it’s also been long misunderstood.
The past decade has been an exciting period of renewal for Irish whisky. This once powerhouse producer had been reduced, somewhat embarrassingly, to just three distilleries not that long ago, but things are well and truly on the up. For the first time we believe we can consistently run Irish whiskey events and regular intervals with new and exciting whiskies in each event.
Being completely independent, we’ll be choosing six whiskies from across the spectrum. Sampling whiskies from various distilleries, brands and regions we’ll go through different flavours and styles, exploring why they taste like they do.
We’ll go through the history of Irish whiskey, how it started and how we got to were we are. Expect single malt, blended the famous Irish single pot still mash bill – and maybe a few things in between.
Is all Irish whiskey triple distilled? No. Is it only Scotland that do peated whiskies? No. What exactly is an Irish Single Pot Still whiskey? Let’s try it. Where are all these new distilleries coming from and what are they planning? Let’s find out.
This will be much like our existing whisk(e)y events – not a lecture but a discussion, not a class but an appreciation evening. Whiskey fans of all levels are welcome, an appetite for great whiskey is all that’s required.
The line-up will be decided closer to the date so we include the latest, most exciting and interesting, releases.
WHAT: Irish Whiskey Appreciation
WHERE: The Oak Barrel, 152 Elizabeth St, Sydney
WHEN: Tuesday 26 March 2019, doors open 6.15pm for a 6.30pm start
PRICE: $40 for members, $50 for guests
How To Buy Tickets
- To purchase a ticket please add this item to your cart and process at the checkout. Please note, there are no physical tickets - your name will be on the door.
- We offer one members-priced ticket per paid-up membership. Members will recieve their discount once the ticket is added to the cart.
- If you are a member and add more than one ticket to your account, the remaining tickets will be charged at guest prices.
- Please advise any friends that are members that they will need to log into their own account to purchase memebrs tickets.
- If you are buying a gift for someone else, please specific their name in Order Notes during the checkout process.
- Tickets are non-refundable or exchangeable, so please make sure to check your dates before booking.