It has been a phenomenal period for the Australian whisky industry and when perusing our shelves to plan a tasting for early 2020 we ran into a problem: there was way too much to choose from.
The Oak Barrel shelves have more great Australian whisky on them than ever before and the industry is really starting the gather a head of steam. The rate in which new distilleries – and their whiskies – have sprung up is both exciting and intriguing.
We’ll delve into the whiskies and where they’ve come from for our annual January Australian whisky tasting. Only this time, we’re going to have to do it over two nights.
With different line-ups across Thursday 16 and Friday 17 January, we’ll pour and discuss whiskies from New South Wales, Tasmania and all-across Australia. On both nights we’ll also include a little bit of modern Australian whisky history by including the two latest releases from Smith’s Angaston – the 18-year-old on Thursday and the 20-year-old on Friday.
Mixed among the other will be single cask, cask strengths, wine casks, peated whisky and some things weird and wonderful. There’ll be 14 whiskies from 12 distilleries presented across the two nights
Some of these bottles are 500ml, so we’ve strictly limited numbers across both nights, which will be hosted by The Oak Barrel’s Whisky & Spirits Educator, Scott Fitzsimons.
What We’ll Be Trying
THURSDAY 16 JANUARY
Corowa Characters 46% NSW
Fleurieu Fountain Of Youth 53.5% SA
Joadja Batch 7 48% NSW
Hobart Botrytis Cask Finish 54.8% TAS
Iniquity Batch 17 46% SA
Black Gate (Batch TBD) NSW
Smith’s Angaston 18-Year-Old 46% SA
FRIDAY 17 JANUARY
Archie Rose (Batch TBD) NSW
Tasmanian Independent Bottlers Fleurieu Release 3 46.7% SA
Spring Bay Rheban Port Cask 58% TAS
Starward Solera 43%
Lark Cask Strength 58% TAS
Bakery Hill Sovereign Smoke 50% VIC
Smith’s Angaston 20-Year-Old 46.5%SA
WHAT: Home Grown: Australian Whisky Tasting
WHERE: The Oak Barrel, 152 Elizabeth St, Sydney, 2000
WHEN: Thursday 16 and Friday 17 January 2020, doors open 6.15pm for a 6.30pm start
PRICE: $85 for members, $95 for guests
How To Buy Tickets
- To purchase a ticket please add this item to your cart and process at the checkout. Please note, there are no physical tickets - your name will be on the door.
- We offer one members-priced ticket per paid-up membership. Members will recieve their discount once the ticket is added to the cart.
- If you are a member and add more than one ticket to your account, the remaining tickets will be charged at guest prices.
- Please advise any friends that are members that they will need to log into their own account to purchase memebrs tickets.
- If you are buying a gift for someone else, please specific their name in Order Notes during the checkout process.
- Tickets are non-refundable or exchangeable, so please make sure to check your dates before booking.