Built in 1779, it is one of the oldest whisky distilleries in Scotland, it has the oldest still active whisky building and is one of a handful to still operate its own floor maltings – we’ll be celebrating Islay’s Bowmore distillery this June at The Oak Barrel.
It's a distillery dripping in history, has arguably produced some of the greatest whiskies ever, boasts a legion of bolted-on fans – but sometimes it feels like we take it for granted. Let’s not risk one of the icons of the Scotch whisky industry being overlooked. In a tasting night at The Oak Barrel tasting room, we’ll open a flight of single malts from this peated distillery and remind ourselves what Bowmore is about.
The past couple of years have been ones of transformation for the distillery, from a new-look core range to new lines across markets and sectors, one of the oldest distillery’s in Scotland is re-positioning itself in what is becoming one of the great booms in whisky history. It doesn’t sit next to its island-neighbours like Laphroaig, Ardbeg, Lagavulin (and now even Kilchoman and Bruichaddich’s heavily peated lines) as a pure smoke machine. Bowmore has long been loved for its finesse and subtlety, the smoke often described as pipe or perfumed. So, what does Bowmore look like in 2019 and beyond? Only one way to find out – let’s open the bottles and see where the current batches stand.
In an evening hosted by a Michael Thomas from parent company Suntory (he now a veteran of Oak Barrel Sydney Whisky Fairs) and The Oak Barrel’s Scott Fitzsimons, we’ll go through the new core range and dig out something from the archives or an independent bottler to compare and contrast.
Strictly limited numbers.
What We’ll Be Trying:
Bowmore No. 1
Bowmore 15-Year-Old Darkest
Bowmore Vault First Edition
Adelphi Bowmore 1994 23-Year-Old
WHAT: Bowmore Whisky Tasting
WHERE: The Oak Barrel, 152 Elizabeth St, Sydney
WHEN: Wednesday 26 June 2019, doors open 6.15pm for a 6.30pm start
PRICE: $50 for members, $60 for guests
How To Buy Tickets
- To purchase a ticket please add this item to your cart and process at the checkout. Please note, there are no physical tickets - your name will be on the door.
- We offer one members-priced ticket per paid-up membership. Members will recieve their discount once the ticket is added to the cart.
- If you are a member and add more than one ticket to your account, the remaining tickets will be charged at guest prices.
- Please advise any friends that are members that they will need to log into their own account to purchase members tickets.
- If you are buying a gift for someone else, please specify their name in Order Notes during the checkout process.
- Tickets are non-refundable or exchangeable, so please make sure to check your dates before booking.