A 23-year-old from the closed Caperdonich bottled by That Boutique-y Whisky Company.
This is Batch 6 that indie bottlers Boutique-y have sourced from the distillery, bottled at 47.8% with 316 bottles in the run.
Founded in 1897 by the owners of Glen Grant, Glen Grant II (as it was then called) was closed five years later in the downturn before being reopened in 1965 under the new name. Mothballed in 2002 it was demolished in 2010.
This expression is a complex expression, with fresh fruit on the nose but more spice and dried fruit on the palate. Showcaing both sweet and dry elements, it's a whisky with plenty of flavours.
Nose: A floral bouquet of roses and honeysuckle, with a sweet suggestion of rich fruit cake and nuts underneath.
Palate: Much lighter than the nose suggests, with fresher florals, a honey sweetness and a slight peppery tingle.
Finish: Toasted hazelnuts, a touch of salt and then more of that honey coming through.
"Back in the day, naming distilleries was way easier. When the distillery that we now know as Caperdonich was founded in 1897, it was called Glen Grant Number 2. It was across the street from the original Glen Grant distillery, and the two were linked via a pipe through which whisky was sent from one distillery to the other. However, the name was eventually changed to Caperdonich in 1967, and it’s a bit more creative than its previous name - it means ‘the secret well’, referencing the well from where it drew its water. Caperdonich has since closed, with the doors being shut for the last time in 2002.
"Now, about that pipe that sent whisky from one distillery to the other - people could reach it. And because people could reach it, people stole from it. The pipe was eventually removed, but we couldn’t help but put it on the label of our Caperdonich, along with the cheeky chaps who were pilfering the whisky!"
- Single Malt