Few countries have had such an interesting and tumultuous history with whisk(e)y as American has had.
Late to the party but with a pioneer spirit that would not be crushed, a thriving industry lifted by an industrial boom was shut down by prohibition and sent underground, forced to claw its way back from imports and now, in the 21st century, a forerunner in the world of craft whiskey.
The history of Bourbon and American whisky is as fascinating as it is flavourful and in a new series of tastings for 2019, Bourbon & American Whiskey Appreciation, we’ll taste our way through assortment of whiskeys coming out of the country right now.
Hosted by The Oak Barrel’s Scott Fitzsimons we’ll go through six whiskeys that tell the story of American whiskey.
What’s makes a bourbon a bourbon? What’s the difference between Kentucky and Tennessee? Corn, rye, wheat, barley or all of them? What did prohibition really mean for American distilleries? What did it mean for drinkers? What differentiates a Turkey and a Buffalo? Who makes what and where? What does the future hold for bourbon in Australia? In fact, do we make it in Australia?
Let’s drink, discuss and explore the deep, rich tapestry of American whiskey in our Bourbon & American Whiskey Appreciation tasting night at The Oak Barrel.
This will be like all our whisk(e)y events – not a lecture but a discussion, not a class but an appreciation evening. Whiskey fans of all levels are welcome, an appetite for great whiskey is all that’s required.
The line-up will be decided closer to the date so we include the latest, most exciting and interesting, releases.
WHAT: Bourbon & American Whiskey Appreciation
WHERE: The Oak Barrel, 152 Elizabeth St, Sydney
WHEN: Thur 11 April 2019, doors open 6.15pm for a 6.30pm start
PRICE: $40 for members, $50 for guests
How To Buy Tickets
- To purchase a ticket please add this item to your cart and process at the checkout. Please note, there are no physical tickets - your name will be on the door.
- We offer one members-priced ticket per paid-up membership. Members will recieve their discount once the ticket is added to the cart.
- If you are a member and add more than one ticket to your account, the remaining tickets will be charged at guest prices.
- Please advise any friends that are members that they will need to log into their own account to purchase memebrs tickets.
- If you are buying a gift for someone else, please specific their name in Order Notes during the checkout process.
- Tickets are non-refundable or exchangeable, so please make sure to check your dates before booking.