The Oak Barrel is proud to host a vertical whisky tasting this March, the likes of which we don’t think has ever happened in public before.
Berry Brothers & Rudd is one of the most iconic wine and spirit merchants in the UK, and certainly one of the oldest. Founded in 1698, BBR carries two royal warrants, one of the best bottle stores in London, and an extensive collection of whiskies and spirits bottled under their own moniker. It has also be family owned since 1698.
From those collection of spirits, there is one label that has always been the pinnacle of the whisky range – the Blue Hanger Blended Malt series. The series is named after a particularly loyal customer of Berry’s in the 18th century, Lord Coleraine. Touted as the ‘Best Dressed man of his day’, he is remembered as wearing a particular shade of blue.
These blends have always been impeccably turned out themselves. Created from single malt stocks from some of Scotland’s top distilleries, they have evolved throughout the years to reflect the changing tastes of whisky drinkers and outputs of the distilleries themselves.
Australia’s BBR brand Ambassador, and regular face at The Oak Barrel, Daniel Hutchins-Read has spent the past years tracking down bottles of the early, long-sold-out, expressions – which he is now hoping to share with us all. We’ll also be very pleased to welcome Luigi Barzini, BBR’s Asian Regional Sales Manager, who’ll find himself in Sydney on the day. Barzini has been instrumental in the global roll-out of BBR’s spirits selection since joining the company in 2010.
We’re pretty sure this hasn’t been done before and even more sure that it won’t be done again.
Join us Tuesday 19 March as we crack open the following bottles of history from a historic house. Whiskies listed below, with details and make-up undernearth.
Blue Hanger Fifth Release
Democratically selected at Whisky Live Paris 2010, consisting of whiskies from 1987 - 1997.
Blue Hanger Sixth Release
Bottled 2012, consisting of whiskies from 1980 - 1990.
Blue Hanger Seventh Release
US only release, bottled 2013, consisting of whiskies from 1990 - 2006.
Blue Hanger Eighth Release
21-year-old age statement, bottled exclusively for The Whisky Shop in the UK in 2013. Make-up currently unknown.
Blue Hanger Ninth Release
Bottled 2013, consisting of whiskies from 1990 - 2006.
Blue Hanger Eleventh Release
Bottled 2015, consisting of whiskies from 1990 - 2007.
Blue Hanger Thirteenth Release
Bottled for Taiwan, make-up currently unknown.
WHAT: Berry Brothers & Rudd Blue Hanger Historic Vertical Whisky Tasting
WHERE: The Oak Barrel, 152 Elizabeth St, Sydney
WHEN: Tuesday 19 March 2019, doors open 6.15pm for a 6.30pm start
PRICE: $50 for members, $60 for guests
How To Buy Tickets
- To purchase a ticket please add this item to your cart and process at the checkout. Please note, there are no physical tickets - your name will be on the door.
- We offer one members-priced ticket per paid-up membership. Members will recieve their discount once the ticket is added to the cart.
- If you are a member and add more than one ticket to your account, the remaining tickets will be charged at guest prices.
- Please advise any friends that are members that they will need to log into their own account to purchase members tickets.
- If you are buying a gift for someone else, please specify their name in Order Notes during the checkout process.
- Tickets are non-refundable or exchangeable, so please make sure to check your dates before booking.