Biodynamics is a growing term in today’s wine industry. While it may seem recent, biodynamic farming in wine has been around for several decades. One man, Nicholas Joly, is considered by many as the ‘Godfather of Biodynamic Wine’ he has been farming and creating biodynamic wines since 1981 at his family estate, Chateau de la Roche aux Moines, in the Loire Valley
This style of farming involves working organically in the vineyard, removing most herbicides and pesticides. Biodynamics also incorporates the teachings of Austrian philosopher Rudolf Steiner. His teachings on farming follow an astronomical calendar to time specific methods such as sowing, weeding, and harvesting. The vineyards are viewed as an entire living organism, and make use of naturally self-sustained soils and compost. This assists in growing the healthiest and purest grapes possible on the site.
Nicholas Joly has since written several books on biodynamics both in the vineyard and for wine consumers. He is a pioneer of biodynamic wine in the world. Joly personally dismisses the term “winemaker,” opting for what he considers a more appropriate title - Nature Assistant.
Chateau de la Roche aux Moines has been fully converted since 1984, and encompasses all 7 hectares of ‘Coulee de Serrant’.
This site has been granted it’s own AOC (appellation d’origins controlee), it is one of the few French vineyards to do so. This achievement is only shared with Burgundy icons, ‘Romanee-Conti’, ’La Tache’, and Northern Rhone appellation ‘Chateau Grillet’.
The cuvee created from the ‘Coulee de Serrant’ site, named ‘Clos de la Coulee de Serrant’ is nothing short of legendary and considered one of the worlds best white wines.
We’ve teamed up with Australia’s exclusive importer of Nicholas Joly’s wines and all round wine legend Charlie Simpson, to put together a very special tasting with these incredible cuvees thus exploring the works of one the world’s best.
Wines to be tasted on the night -
Nicholas Joly - Les Vieux Clos 2016
Nicholas Joly - Clos De La bergerie 2016
Nicholas Joly - AOC Coulee De Serrant 2016
Nicholas Joly - Les Vieux Clos 2009
Nicholas Joly - AOC Coulee De Serrant 2009
Nicholas Joly - AOC Coulee De Serrant 2007
Plus more to be revealed
WHAT: A Tasting of Coulee De Serrant - The Wines of Nicholas Joly
WHERE: The Oak Barrel, 152 Elizabeth St, Sydney
WHEN: Wednesday 27 February 2019, doors open 6.15pm for a 6.30pm start
PRICE: $60 for members, $70 for guests
How To Buy Tickets
- To purchase a ticket please add this item to your cart and process at the checkout. Please note, there are no physical tickets - your name will be on the door.
- We offer one members-priced ticket per paid-up membership. Members will recieve their discount once the ticket is added to the cart.
- If you are a member and add more than one ticket to your account, the remaining tickets will be charged at guest prices.
- Please advise any friends that are members that they will need to log into their own account to purchase memebrs tickets.
- If you are buying a gift for someone else, please specific their name in Order Notes during the checkout process.
- Tickets are non-refundable or exchangeable, so please make sure to check your dates before booking.